Maya Reese


After a VERY QUICK time in the hospital the baby arrived Saturday, January 31, 2009. We named her Maya, she weighed 7 lbs. 10 ounces and surprised us with extremely dark hair.

For those of you that want to know the gory details...

9:00 a.m. mild contractions, nothing regular
10:00 a.m. decided to go for a little hike up the canyon (maybe this will get things moving)
11:30 a.m. contractions still going but not regular and at least 15 minutes apart
12:00 p.m. contractions are getting stronger, decide to call the babysitters and get ready to go
1:20 p.m. contractions getting painful, but still 10 minutes apart
Eric leaves to get Christopher to stay with Penelope
1:40 p.m. Eric gets home and we leave for the hospital, contractions now 5 minutes apart
1:45 p.m. At the light on 45th. Me - "I think you better drive faster, these hurt"
1:55 p.m. To the lady at the front desk, "um, we're here to have a baby"
2:00 p.m. To the nurse on our way to the room, "I'm gonna want an epidural right away"
2: 15 p.m. After getting in the hospital gown and in bed I say to Eric "Where the heck is everyone, don't they understand I'm in labor? Why is it hurting so bad this time? Am I just being a wuss? I swear it wasn't this bad with Penelope."
2:20 p.m. Nurse checks and I'm dilated to 5 centimeters. I'm thinking "okay, that's good. Should be only a few hours. But why does it hurt so bad already?"
2:25 p.m. Contractions now less than 3 minutes apart
2:30 p.m. "Woah, my water just broke"
2:31 p.m. "AHHHHHHH!"
2:32 p.m. "THE BABY IS COMING!"
2:33 p.m. Nurse says "Woah, you're a 9 1/2 and I can see the baby's head!"
2:34 p.m Anesthesiologist says, "change of plans, I'm going to have to..." blah, blah blah...something about switching to a spinal block because no time for an epidural.
2:35 p.m "I don't care, HURRY"
2:36 p.m. Doctor enters room
2:37 p.m. Ah, relief...
2:40 p.m. Doctor, "Ok, are you ready to push?"
2:44 p.m. ...AND BABY!

Yeah, I went from 5 centimeters to 9 1/2 in less than 20 minutes and pushed through maybe 3 contractions. And THAT'S why it hurt so bad... :)

3:00 p.m. Doctor, "Next time, you should probably schedule to come in at 39 weeks" :)

It was pretty scary because it went so fast and I wasn't AT ALL prepared for that. With Penelope, my labor was over 17 hours. I could NOT believe how fast it all happened and HOW much pain. Don't know how some of you can do it natural, you're my heros. I didn't feel like I was hit with a train the next day and I certainly wasn't worn down from a long labor.

I posted more photos on my Facebook if you want to see "http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2030462&l=e6b3a&id=122801620">here.

8 comments:

Gabriella said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful.

Mrs. Olsen said...

I already posted on Facebook, but congrats! She is so cute! Oh, and you've given me lots of hope for a speedier labor next time!

Michelle said...

I was kind of jealous when I first saw this post because I was thinking, "I want a baby!" But then I remembered that I'll have one soon enough. Although, I am jealous that you're all done with it all. She's so cute, congratulations!

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

oh love the play by play that was so fast

Ryan and Megan said...

She is so super cute!
That makes me want to have another. Congrats on everything going so well.

lisa said...

sooo cute! we wish we could hold her. congrats again.

Amber said...

Congratulations! She is absolutely adorable. That is pretty nice (and kinda scary) that your labor went so quickly. Maybe there is hope for me after all.

Jessica said...

She is so incredibly adorable! I can't wait to see her. I love the delivery play by play :)